July 27, 2009

Prairie Punisher Duathlon doesn't disappoint in Dishing up the Punishment

I'm sitting here (2 days post-race) with two pretty sore calves, and quads that are a bit tired as well. I'm drinking a cup of java - duh! - and watching the Today Show. Whaaa...where is my Tour de France? I miss it already!

For the past, oh, 6 years or so, Terry and I have done the Prairie Punisher Duathlon in Gardner, KS. We have each missed a year in there somewhere, but for the most part, this is on the schedule each July. It's also typical that July in Kansas City is blazing hot with some crazy high humidity.

This year, however, is a bit different. To start, there are gobs of us heading to Gardner for the race! My mom has a crew rounded up to do the 5k walk/run. These girls (mom, patti, ashley, jancee, and stephanie) will team up to compete in the upcoming Kansas City Marathon! This was their first "practice" meet as they prep for the October race. We also had an EPIC Bike and Sport crew out there to do the Du! Galen, Amy, Terry, Tiernan and I are shown in this pic, sporting our Epic gear.

Tiernan, Terry and I met at the shop a little after 5 on Saturday morning, and traveled out to Gardner. Eeeks...there was a nice lightening show right where we were heading! We had plenty of time to get checked in, pick up the chip, set up in the very wet transition area, etc. I hopped on my bike for just a few minutes, to ensure everything was shifting right and open up the legs a little bit. I really didn't get as much of a warmup as I would've liked. They were calling everyone to the starting line. I re-racked the bike, donned the running shoes and got ready to roll.

My mom's crew were all gearing up for their walk/run, so I was able to say a quick hello and wish them a good race. Then it was time for the rest of us to line up for the Duathlon start. So, now is probably a good time to mention that the course changed a bit this year. Typically the run portion of the race (which, for those of you who don't know, you run 2 times!) is pretty flat, however, this year it is hilly! I scoped out the course last weekend, and that was the first I was aware of the newly added hills. Hmmm. It wasn't until I started on that first run though, that I became painfully aware of exactly how much this would hurt!

It's always a challenge to remain calm and hold your own pace in the first run of a duathlon. Participants often take off like a herd and it's very easy to get caught up running way faster than you're able...believe me, that catches up with you sooner than later in these races! So, I felt like I did a great job starting out very controlled and settling into my own pace/rythym. Though it may not sound like a great accomplishment, I was absolutely thrilled to actually run the entire first run. My legs wanted to stop at the hills, but - no way - I wasn't listening to them! I ended up finishing the first 5k in just under 30 minutes. That's pretty good for me...on a hilly course too!

As I entered the transition area, I felt like I needed to hurry up, but just wasn't moving very fast at all. I finally got everything together, grabbed the bike and shuffled to the bike mount/dismount line.

Typically, once I hit the bike, I'm feeling great - that didn't seem to be the case this time. My legs were feeling that run. Ruh-roh...I have to do that again too. Ok, just ride...pedal...this hurts...keep pedaling...where did this wind come from?...change gears...pedal faster...drink...pedal...when are my legs gonna join me?...pass someone...turn left...climb a hill...pass more people...wonder if the 5k-ers are done...uh, we're racing here - pick it up...go faster, Dawn...PEDAL...

This scenario goes on for the duration of the 18 mile ride. Around mile 8 or 9, I felt my left calf twinging. I know this isn't good. I would struggle with that twinge, turned mild cramp, turned pretty bad cramping, for the rest of the race. There were a few points where I just couldn't hardly pedal with that leg. Thankfully, there wasn't much of the bike course left, and I quickly saw the transition area. I'll admit, as I approached the dismount line, I was a bit fearful of hopping off my bike - if that calf pulls up, I may topple over. Never fear, it didn't happen!

As I ran into transition and got ready for the run, I could hear the 5k-ers cheering for me - thanks folks! This transition was quicker than the first, and I was out on the run. The legs were bark-, bark-, barking at me, but I had to just keep running. I made it to the base of the first climb, and as it started turning upward, I was forced into a fast walk. My calves were cramping, so I was trying to stretch them out a little too, changing up my stride. I've also never really had a problem with side-stitches while running, but I was struggling with that or something going on in the ol' gut too. Oh well, I just wanted to get to the turnaround. I knew Amy was behind me, 'cause I passed by her on the bike. I kept running, thinking at any moment she would come up along side me. Sure enough, right after I turned around, I saw her heading up to the turnaround and soon she was beside me. We exchanged encouraging words, and with that, she passed me up. I couldn't really respond...just kept chugging along.

There is one more big hill coming back toward the finish...again, I was forced into a walk (as were the folks up ahead). Finally, before reaching the top, I started to run again - all the way into the finish stretch this time. It had started to rain, which actually felt great at this point! As I came into the finish, Tiernan was running down the grass, screaming at me - it's so encouraging to have people cheering. As luck would have it, everyone else was done, so they were all cheering...he he I was thrilled to cross that line and call that race done! Woohoo!

I ended up with a bike time of 58+ and 2nd run of 34+...not stellar times, but got the job done. The results slip says I was 4th in my age group, but I'll admit to not knowing how many gals that includes at this point. One of these days (and I hope it's really soon), all the great training will come together and I will have a fantastic race!

It was so much fun racing with teammates again! Great job to all of the other racers who put up some good times!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! You always amaze me when it comes to the whole racing thing! Don't look at what you could have done, look at what you did do! You Rock!

Anonymous said...

So, uh, where was I??? This blog post totally took me by surprise. I had no idea you were racing - and that's probably a first for me. Can't believe even mom didn't mention anything. So, sorry not to check in on it and keep tabs. I hope that doesn't happen again.

Sharon

Scott said...

Don't worry about how you think you should have done. One day all of these races will sew themselves together and you will have a fantastic race! You always have to be forward thinking. You build upon everything you do in training and racing. If nothing else, you're still an Ironwoman! That's something that should trump any race performance. =)