June 11, 2009

Road Trip to the Windy City

My third race of the season is Sunday. While it's my third race, it's the first triathlon of 2009. Woohoo. I decided to road trip it this time. It's just easier to throw all your gear in the car and not worry about your bike making it in one piece, or the extra fees when flying. So, I had lots to do this morning, and was up and at 'em early.

I didn't start the drive until 11:30ish, but my timing actually worked out pretty well in the end. Much like any type of travel, taking a long drive can be fairly entertaining. I mean, I was by myself, so I had to find things to occupy my time, right? I couldn't possibly capture all the excitement of my trip - clearly there was just too much!

So, about 30 minutes into the drive I broke into the trail mix. ha ha Seriously, you've been on the road for 30 minutes and you're already hungry and bored. :-)

Somewhere near the Iowa border, I saw a fella on the shoulder, pulling 2 shopping carts behind him. Poor guy, it was uphill for certain and he was using some kind of rope system to pull them. I'll give him credit - they looked very stable and he seemed to be making good time. Following this sighting, I spent some time pondering his destination.

Shortly after I hit the Iowa border, I started running into various sections of construction...8 miles, 11 miles, 15 miles...good times. It wasn't too bad if everyone maintained the construction zone speed limit. I think a few vehicles I encountered were equipped with brake sensors wired to engage each time they passed an orange barrel. Really, it doesn't require braking people. Just drive.

About 33 miles outside of Des Moines, I spotted some cows that looked like Oreo cookies. Was I just hungry? No, upon second glance, they were black at both ends and white around the middle. Mmmmm. I could go for some Oreos (or even better - some Newman O's!). By the way, this cow has a name. It is called the Belted Galloway. And, I guess my likening it to an Oreo isn't original. Bummer!
I didn't get to snap a picture myself, but found one online. Look at this picture and tell me it doesn't make you hungry for a cookie.

I thought I would stop in Des Moines, but I was changing interstates there, and didn't want to risk missing my new route, so I waited. My first stop of the trip was at 2:30pm in Altoona, IA! It was a spur of the moment decision - I spotted a sign for HyVee and thought...I'll exit here! Altoona is a cute little town - even Altoona has a bike path running through it - why can't Kansas City get 'er done?! Never mind, on to the *new* HyVee. See there, no gas station potty for me. Niiiice! I was especially pumped to choose my lunch from the Health Food market in this new store. I picked up some greek yogurt and a couple apples for the trip. Mmmm.

I also visited a gas station in Altoona, where I watched a man with a minivan try to pull between two cars, into the middle pump. It was entertaining. He finally gave up and waited till someone was finished. I was fueled up and on the road again.

I crossed South Skunk river.

5:04pm - passed a truck with my name on it. 5:05pm - contemplated truck driving as next career. 5:05:30pm - back to looking at farm land.

More construction in Bureau County - 11 miles more to be specific. As luck would have it, I got stuck behind a gal in a champagne colored Chrysler, going about 20 mph UNDER the posted construction zone speed limit. Good times. Despite her low speed, she was making me nervous as I could see her leaning way over into the seat next to her, trying to fetch something. There were a couple times, she narrowly missed taking out an orange barrel! Finally! A second lane allowed me to escape the torture. As I passed by, I glanced over and saw a messy-haired lady, staring at the road with her mouth hanging open. I drove on. stay tuned for an update on Chrysler woman)

Second stop of the day - Princeton. This was around 5:30pm, I think. Fill up, potty, bug wash #2, and I was back on the road. I hadn't been back on the road long when...look! up ahead - it's a bird, it's a plane...it's more orange barrels and CHRYSLER WOMAN! Aggghhh! Please, please, please let me get around her before it's down to one lane. Whew, I made it. As I passed by, she was still in a blank stare at the road, mouth open.

The remainder of my trip was pretty uneventful. I arrived safely to Lonnie's house, and was greeted by their pooch - Ginger - who was extremely excited to see me! (Lonnie and Eric are graciously allowing me to stay at their home, even though they're away for a few days - THANK YOU LONNIE AND ERIC!)

On a more serious note, please pray for Lonnie's nephew, Kyle, and their family. Kyle was in a terrible car accident May 31st, and remains in critical condition. You can read more about Kyle's accident and his progess on this blog his family set up. Kyle has made some small steps forward, but it will be a very long road ahead for him and his family.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Good luck on Sunday! =)

Anonymous said...

umm...where is the corn on teh cob eating contest stuff? Just kidding. COngrats on the race and have fun the rest of your stay in Chicago. We got back safe.though no without difficulties. Love Jancee